Vegan or not, this is hands down the most amazing French Toast I have ever had. Moist on the inside, chewy on the outside and the most delicious combination of flavors ever. The key to this recipe is the coconut, as the French Toast grills the coconut toasts. Yummm.
What you’ll need:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 c. coconut milk
- 3/4 c. almond milk (rice, soy, oat etc.)
- 1/2 t. sugar
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/3 c. unsweetened coconut
- 1 loaf of fresh bread (whole foods has great fresh sourdough, ask them to slice it)
- oil for frying (we use earth balance)
- real maple syrup
What to do:
- Combine bananas, coconut milk, almond milk, sugar, cinnamon and coconut in the blender.
- Pour mixture into a medium sized bowl for dipping.
- Dip your bread making sure to fully coat both sides.
- Grill slowly on your griddle. The slower you cook them the better, so be sure not to turn the griddle too high. You want the coconut to toast nicely without burning.
- Top with real maple syrup and enjoy!
TIP: Be patient and let them cook slowly. If you try to flip them too early they will stick. You want to make sure the coconut is nicely toasted. The great thing about these is that they will not dry out, the batter keeps them moist and yummy inside!